Thursday, October 6, 2011

Amplified American Amber Ale (AAAA)

Hello all!  I brewed up an American Amber Ale this morning.  I wanted a good Amber Ale in my repertoire, but something a little different, so I wanted to "Amp" it up a little and was shooting for 7.5 - 8% ABV, but my OG is telling me it will be much bigger than that!  My expected OG was to be around 1.070, but as I must have nailed my mash temp, I ended up with an OG of 1.090!  (20 points higher gravity than I was expecting)  If it ferments properly, ABV will be around 10%!  WHOA!

I opted for four different hops varieties to get some good flavors, Chinook, Centennial, and Citra for the boil, then I will dry hop with East Kent Goldings.  I will use a total of 5 ounces in this batch which is the most I have used to date!  (I am a hophead, ya know!) 
As for the grains I kept it very simple.  Caramel 60 and toasted oats, again for something different, and amber malt extract.  I actually like brewing with extract, though some think it is inferior to all grain brewing.  As long as it tastes great, that is all that matters! 

The yeast is starting to become active tonight and there is bubbling in my airlock, which means I should have a good krausen by morning.  I'll keep uou posted!

Thanks for reading!  Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment