Friday, April 3, 2015

Mesquite Wheat

Hello all! When I heard that Briess Malting was releasing a new smoked malt, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! Hello Mesquite Smoked Malt! I really wanted the flavor to come through and opted to use 56% of my grist as Mesquite Smoked Malt.
Those of you that know me, know that is in my medium usage range. (My other smoked beers range from usage rates as high as  98% smoked malts, to minimal usage rates of 15% or less.) What can I say, I love smoke beers!
Pictured is the boil and 5 gallons in the fermenter. I used Weyermann Pale Wheat and Weyermann CaraAroma for the remainder of the grist. I opted for UK Challenger hops.
When my wife came home, she said the house smelled like bacon! And indeed it does smell like a smokehouse! My daughter said it smelled like bacon when she got home from school. I can't wait to taste this one! This should pair very well with barbecue! The starting gravity was projected at 1.062. Actual measured, 1.062. Right on the money! I'm using Fermentis US-05 dry yeast for its good attenuation and neutral flavor to let the smoke come through. Projected ABV should be near 7%. Updates to come in 2-3 weeks. CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment