Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Smoke Beer

Next up on the brew list is a Smoke Beer.  Ever since I tried and experienced a Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, I have been in love with smoked malt beer.  Some say the smoke flavor can be overpowering, but I found it quite pleasant and enjoyable. 

After reading up on smoked malts, Weyermann from Germany, states smoked malt can be used for up to 100% of the grist.  Briess, makers of Cherrywood smoked malt, recommends no more than 60% of the grist.  So I am opting to do a mix of both smoked malts to equal 60% of my grist.

I'll balance it out and add more maltiness using Briess Dark Munich, Weyermann Caramunich II, and Rahr Red Wheat malt equalling 33% of the grist, with the remaining being Briess Carapils for body.

I'll brew on Wednesday and post the results.  I think this will be a nice beer for barbecues with the smoke.  Some folks will like it, and some will not.  I know I will enjoy it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment