Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wholly Smoke II

O.k.  As I am a huge fan of smoke beers, and can only find smoked porters, and Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers imported from Germany, the original smoke beer brewery, I am creating a smoked ale with an even higher ratio of smoked malt than my first smoked beer, Wholly Smoke.
My oringinal version had 29% Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt, 29% Briess Cherrywood Smoked malt, 13% Caramunich, 13% Munich, 9% wheat, and 7% carapils.  It was smokey, but I figured it would have a deeper smoke flavor.  It ended up being a very balanced brew and was good nonetheless.
Wholly Smoke II will consist of the following malt bill: 57% Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt, 36% Briess Cherrywood Smoked malt, 6% Weyermann Carafoam, and 1% Weyermann Carafa III.  So, 93% smoked malt total should make for a more pronounced smoke flavor.  This beer should pair well with BBQ, smoked meats, and charcuterie.  I'll post the specs after brewing tomorrow!
CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment