Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cherry Hoppin' Ale update

I just took a hydrometer reading to see where the ale is at.  It is still fermenting ever so slightly after 4 days in the secondary.  Alcohol by volume is around 5.7 - 6% by my readings, but we still have some time to go.  I didn't want to dump the sample back into the fermenter, so I gave it a taste.  It is coming along nicely!  The light maltiness is complemented by the cherries.  The bitterness of the hops seems to be right on also.  The dry hops are giving a big nose of passionfruit which is great with the cherries.  The finish is cisping up as the residual sugars are being devoured by the yeast.  A light whiff of smoke is slightly evident on the finish due to the small amount of smoked malt added to the grist.  This makes a great summer beer!  I may bump the smoked malt up just a tad to make it a great barbecue beer!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment