Saturday, March 22, 2014

Hard Cider (6 Gal Batch)

I decided I am going for it and finally making a 6 gallon batch of hard cider.  I brewed a couple of experimental 1 gallon batches utilizing a dessert wine yeast with success.  This time I am using a wine yeast that is better for cider.  They both turned out good and the second batch is carbonating.

Starting OG on this batch is 1.070, which should place it in the 9% ABV region.  My wife says she prefers the higher alcohol version better, so that is what I am going for.  I don't know where this yeast will go yet as it is a different strain than I was experimenting with.  I do like the fact that there is no boil involved, though I did heat a half gallon to liquefy my sugars, but not higher than 165F.  I have some ideas to flavor it in secondary.   I'll keep you posted on my new venture.
CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment