Sunday, June 22, 2014

Kettle Black - Dry Irish Stout

Happy brew day!  Mashed in at 7:00 a.m.  Strike temp 164F for a mash temp of 152F.  Nothing like the smell of mash in the morning!  Nice roasty aromas! Stout is one of my favorite styles; anything from Dry Irish Stouts, to Oatmeal Stouts and Milk Stouts, to Russian Imperial Stouts.  Sometimes I enjoy American Stouts, but it can go either way.  Occasionally they are just way to bitter from the hop additions.  I think certain hops fight with the roasted malt and can be quite unpleasant.

Pictured below from left to right are the mash from this morning, the boil underway, and 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.  Projected gravity was 1.046.  Actual measured is 1.050.  I used UK Target hops.  I love those hops in my stouts! Sorry for the late post as both sides of the family showed up for visits.
CHEERS!
Kettle Black In the Fermenter


Kettle Black Mash
Kettle Black Boil


No comments:

Post a Comment